10.31.2006

"quotes"

“There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, "All right, then, have it your way” -- C.S. Lewis


“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” -- C.S. Lewis


“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket- safe, dark, motionless, airless--it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable.” -- C.S. Lewis


“We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls.” -- Mother Teresa


“I asked God for strength that I might achieve. I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey. I asked for health that I might do greater things. I was given infirmity that I might do better things. I asked for riches that I might be happy. I was given poverty that I might be wise. I asked for power that I might have the praise of men. I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God. I asked for all things that I might enjoy life. I was given life that I might enjoy all things. I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I hoped for. Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered. I am, among all men, most richly blessed.” -- Unknown


“I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.” -- Mother Teresa


“We're not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be” -- C.S. Lewis


“God loves us the way we are, but too much to leave us that way” -- Leighton Ford


“We turn to God for help when our foundations are shaking, only to learn that it is God who is shaking them.” - Charles C. West

No comments: