7.18.2007

a thought on enslavement

You know how some people seem to have power over you that you don't remember crowning them with?

Could be a parent you don't live with, someone you once loved, someone you hate, etc. . .

Well it really doesn't matter who it is, but you know as well as I do that when you look at things in the light, those people affect you negatively when you are with them. Now negatively is maybe the wrong word, maybe I'm thinking more ''without you wanting them to affect you". That's a little better. The point is, you're not yourself. You feel expectations stronger, you feel attached to a behavior you thought you had done off with. It can cause resentment, confusion, frustration: I know.

Who ever gave those people that power? I don't remember handing someone my heart and saying: "here, please take every occasion we are together and wreak havoc on my nervous system, I like it when my heart beats out of control and my legs shake." nope, I didn't ask.

So I was pondering, as I could not sleep for nickels, and began to read in 2 Peter. I believe the inspired words of God apply here:

"For speaking out arrogant words of vanity they entice by fleshly desires, by sensuality, those who barely escape from the ones who live in error, promising them freedom while they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by what a man is overcome, by this he is enslaved." (2 Peter 2.18-19)

I was struck with a meaning, from the word 'overcome', that's exactly what I've felt in this type of situation, that who I was and was most of the time was overcome, almost overridden, and someone else (unknowingly and probably not wanting to) had taken the reins. I read on, and realized that I've enslaved myself to these situations. I think by now it's how I expect to act in them. And so, I've subconsciously subjected myself to another person, who does not know it. It's really weird.

Ok ok, trying to get to the point here . . . Jesus didn't die on the cross for me to be enslaved all of my life. He wants me to be free, even more than I want to be free. And so I am on a quest for freedom. Guarding my heart, perhaps withdrawing where necessary, in general praying a heck of a lot more. Trying to see what the will of God is.

Are you enslaved? Don't be another moment. "It was for freedom that Christ set us free."

"If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free . . . truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. The slave does not remain in the house forever, the son does remain forever. So if the son makes you free, you will be free indeed." (John 8.32-36)

No comments: